Bassetlaw&Bawtry: News, Events and Finance
The Deanery is engaging with the celebrations of the 400th anniversary in 2020 of the Mayflower sailing from Plymouth to the New World, highlighting the local churches that were involved in this historic event. In conjunction the whole of the Christian heritage of North Nottinghamshire is being promoted – see the link below. Information will be posted here as celebrations develop.
Latest information: bassetlawchristianheritage.com
Please see below for details of the Pilgrims Festival in November.
- Thursday 15th November – RETFORD Thanksgiving Dinner – Spencer’s on the Square – 6.30pm for 7.00pm £29.95 – call 01777 800239 to book.
- Saturday 17th (10am – 4pm) and Sunday 18th (12noon – 4pm) November Pilgrims Art Exhibition at BABWORTH Church – talk by local author and historian Adrian Gray at 11am on Saturday 17th
- Sunday 18th November – 11.15am – Candle-lighting Holy Communion service at St Helena’s Church, AUSTERFIELD – home of William Bradford, Mayflower Pilgrim. In the afternoon, hog roast from 4pm at Bawtry Hall followed by a lantern parade through BAWTRY – Doncaster Council is providing more detailed information separately.
- Monday 19th November – Music at WORKSOP Priory – International Mediaeval Harpist, Leah Stuttard returns to the Priory – this year Leah is playing her Sacred Fragments programme – the evening will start wioth a short talk about the Priory and its place in the Mayflower Pilgrims Story – £10 per person on entry – includes mulled wine and a mince pie.
- Tuesday 20th November – RETFORD Lantern parade gathers outside Wilco on Carolgate Retford at 5.15pm, starting off for St Swithun’s Parish Church at about 5.30pm where there will be an all-age service led by Rev Mark Cantrill including Retford Elizabethan Academy Drama Group, Katie Green’s Imagination Museum and the Songbirds. This will be followed at 7pm by the now famous ‘400’ photograph in the churchyard, after which, all are welcome in the church for light refreshments.
- Wednesday 21st November – GAINSBOROUGH will hold their Illuminate event starting at 5.00pm at the United Reformed Church followed by a parade – details have been sent separately by West Lindsey District Council.
- Thursday 22nd November – St Wilfrid’s Parish Church, SCROOBY – there will be a talk by local author, genealogist and historian Sue Allan, a short operatic performance by opera singer, Kamilla Dunstan and a candle-lighting service, followed by a parade around the village ending at the Village Hall for a performance by Retford Elizabethan Academy Drama Group, and refreshments. Bassetlaw District Council has made more details available separately.
- Friday 23rd November – Music at WORKSOP Priory– Heritage musicians, Doncaster Waites will be delighting us with music from the streets from the time of the Pilgrims – they will both play and explain historic instruments in an entertaining and engaging way.t really is a great evening – Doncaster Waites really engage with their audience. The evening will start with a talk about Worksop Priory (a different presenter to Monday) and the Mayflower Pilgrims.
- Sunday 25th November –RETFORD 5k Pilgrims Fun Run – 9.15am – starts off the Retford Christmas Market and Lights Switch-On – prizes for the best children’s and adult’s pilgrim outfit – its for fun – in partnership with Retford Business Forum and TLS, supporting Bassetlaw Hospice.
Other candle-lighting services are taking place on Sunday 18th November at GAINSBOROUGH All Saints (joint with URC) and BABWORTH church. STURTON-LE-STEEPLE will also be holding a joint event with the local primary school during the Festival Week. Please check your local information for details.
To be part of the team, offer ideas or for further information contact:
Revd Peter Sheasby on email@example.com
Mr Rick Brand on firstname.lastname@example.org