Statistics for Mission
Data collection – 2018
Copy of email September 2018
This email has been sent to the Incumbent, PCC Secretary and Churchwarden for your Parish. Please can you forward this email to the right person who undertakes the role of reporting the Statistics for Mission?
I am writing to ask you to start the process of collecting this year’s Statistics for Mission figures.
Below is all the information you need to complete the forms and submit them online. Towards the bottom of this email is a summary which should also be helpful.
Statistics for Mission is very important to us as a diocese because it helps us to measure our progress in terms of Growing Disciples by 7000 over the next few years. Whilst I know you will pay careful attention to accurately completing the data I do ask that you are attentive when completing questions 8 & 9.
To reduce mailing costs, we are encouraging you to submit your statistics online. 93% of the returns last year were completed online, so thank you for help in this part of the process. If you already have a username and password, this can be used again, if you require a reminder of your details or would like a new username and password, then please email Fraser McNish at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Church of England has a Portal. The Portal has been designed to link all systems across the Church of England under one username and password. The portal is up and running and you can associate your Parish Returns account with it right now. You don’t have to do this but this will make things simpler for you in the future. Just go to https://cofeportal.org/ and click on the “Register for an account”. Once your Portal is set up, click on the “Parish Returns” tile and enter your existing Parish Returns username and password.
When using the Online Parish Return System http://parishreturns.churchofengland.org/ please do use the reporting tools included in the system to explore how your attendance and income/expenditure have shifted over the last few years. To help you to use this data in context the Research and Statistics team in the Archbishops’ Council have also recently produced Parish Dashboards. You can access them by clicking here These bring together figures from your church with information from the government Census to explore your church in relation to your local community. They cover areas such as Christian affiliation, population age and ethnicity profiles, household structures, deprivation, employment, schools and qualifications, alongside church statistics such as attendance and giving.
The data you provide is used in many ways in both our diocese and nationally.
Your statistics also form an essential foundation to discussions within synod about the future of our church.
The deadline for submitting the 2018 Statistics for Mission forms is 31st January 2019.
You can download a paper version of the form here: Click for PDF or Click for Word versions. We would encourage you to submit your data online. This year we will not be posting out the paper version unless the Churchwarden/PCC Secretary does not have an email address. If you require a hard copy posting please can you email email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding this process, please feel free to contact Fraser McNish on 01636 817244 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of information
- All this information can be found on our website at www.southwell.anglican.org/returns
- You can submit your data online here http://parishreturns.churchofengland.org/
- If you do not have or you have forgotten your online username and password, please just email email@example.com
- The parish returns system for the 2018 figures will be accessible from 5th October 2018
- To save on printing and postage costs, we will not be printing and mailing the forms to Parishes, unless they are requested, or the Churchwarden does not have an email address.
- A copy of the Statistics for mission form can be downloaded from here Click for PDF or Click for Word versions
- Paper returns should be sent to your Deanery Office. This is not required if you have submitted your data online
- The October count dates are Sunday 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th You will also see that they are looking for figures for weekday services.
- The deadline for this return is 31 January 2019
- The importance of questions 8 & 9
Thank you for your help and assistance in gathering these statistics.
Director of Parish Support
Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham
The Church of England across Nottinghamshire