1. Devolved Formula Capital (DFC) – sums allocated to every school on the basis of pupil numbers and other criteria, on an annual basis. It can be used for all capital projects including new buildings, improvements, computers, outdoor play equipment, CCTV and security. (See the Blue Book for a complete list).This money is now paid directly to schools or to the Diocese (whichever the school has nominated to receive the money) in June/July each year. It can be saved for up to three years to allow larger projects to be undertaken. Governors pay 10%.

2. Locally Co-ordinated Voluntary Aided Programme (LCVAP) – This is currently the only other form of funding available from the DfE for V.A schools. This funding is for capital projects beyond the reach of schools using only their DFC. Schools may bid each year to the diocese for money from the next year’s allocation. Money must be spent by mid February of the next year or it is lost. Schools are usually asked to contribute some of their DFC to the project in addition to the LCVAP money. Governors pay 10%.

NOTE: Disabled Access Works. Contrary to popular belief there is no separate pot of money for these works. Funding for this work has to come from either DFC or LCVAP, and governors have to contribute 10%.

Approval Process

• The approval of the Board of Education is required for all projects over £5,000. Form attached.

• EFA approval is no longer required for DFC projects.

• Projects that contain an element of LVCAP funding must be approved by the EFA before starting work.

Diocesan Support

• Help with choice of consultants.

• Advice on how the system works.

• Advice on funding sources.

• Bankrolling of projects for primary schools.

• Trouble shooting on behalf of governors.

Governor’s 10%

 • This may come from your delegated school budget.

• Will the local Church contribute? Have you asked them?

• Are the PTA/Friends of the Schools willing to contribute or fundraise?

• Have you considered setting up a Gift-Aid giving scheme?


• It is worth nurturing a good and supportive building consultant if you don’t have one. Someone who knows you and the school will produce the best results.

• You employ the consultant – let them know exactly what you need.

• You may find it easier to use a consultant who is familiar with working with VA schools and the EFA.

• If you are not happy with their work, let them know.

• If you need advice from a consultant to help you get a clear idea of what is possible, you should ensure that s/he works ‘at risk’, otherwise you will have to pay fees which will not be reclaimable unless the ‘idea’ materialises into an approved project.

For more information and help

The funding and the paperwork that goes with it can be complex. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need help. My direct line is 01636 817237 or by e-mail, I can deal with most queries over the phone, but if necessary, I can visit the school to discuss issues with head teachers and governors.

Click here to download the application for consent to any alterations or repairs to Church of England Aided Schools