The Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham has created the 0.2 post of Diocesan Ecumenical Officer and is the only denominational post with allocated time in Nottinghamshire. Under the Director of Partnerships & Mission, the post is held by the Revd Jonathan Smithurst.
Please contact the DEO if input from any of the areas noted below might be helpful to you.
1. Encouraging the concept of collaboration and mission with Christians, churches and congregations beyond the Anglican Communion as part of the Gospel imperative of being one body (John 17:11, plus Eph 4:4-6 and 1 Corinthians 12:12f. etc.);
2. Advising the Bishops and Senior Staff and working with Archdeacons and Area Deans on relevant national developments and local relationships both actual and potential;
3. Supervision of Diocesan input into Local Ecumenical Partnerships, local covenants, and Covenanted Partnerships in Extended Areas and participating in reviews and initiatives for future development;
4. Engaging with Churches Together in Nottinghamshire’s Enabling Group in formulating, facilitating and reporting on processes and opportunities;
5. Responding to questions of technical detail and more general queries, often by referring enquirers to relevant web pages run by the Churches Council for Christian Unity and Churches Together in England;
6. Networking and engaging with local congregations and their leaders, notably those of minority ethnicity;
7. Attending occasional gatherings and short conferences with other Diocesan or County Ecumenical Officers;
8. Together with the Faiths Engagement Group, observing and commenting on relationships with non-Christian religions and supporting ways in which such relationships can be encouraged and improved.
The Revd J P Smithurst