A Service for the Renewal of Commitment to Ministry
Wednesday of Holy Week at 7.30pm 31st March 2021 – join the service here.
As we join together this evening after a year which some have likened to a ‘long Lent’, the full effects of the coronavirus pandemic continue to be difficult to quantify. While we hope some restrictions will gradually be eased over the coming weeks, the future pattern of life and ministry remains uncertain but we continue to find ourselves living and ministering in the present moment as well as we can, caring for those around us, whilst also doing our best to plan for the future, both short and medium term.
Though we are not able to gather physically as one body this evening, may this on-line service be a powerful reminder that we are yet still united through the gift and power of the Holy Spirit and through our Christian service together. We will use the liturgy of our annual service for the renewal of commitment to ministry, which invites all authorised ministers, both lay and ordained, to remember the gracious call of God on each of our lives and to pledge ourselves afresh in our Christian ministry alongside the Bishops.
As we journey together through this unique Holy Week with an acute and collective sense of absence and loss, may our hope be renewed in the sure and certain hope that all the faithful will experience the genuine, unreserved joy of Easter.
Details for the Service for the Renewal of Commitment to Ministry
- A Welcome from the Very Reverend Nicola Sullivan, Dean of Southwell.
- Greeting, Confession and Absolution led by the Right Revd Paul Williams.
- Penitential Motet ‘Lord, for thy tender mercy’s sake’ sung by the cathedral choir of Southwell Minster.
- Reading of Hebrews 10:19-25 read by Peace Matsiko, St. Mary Magdalene church, Newark.
- ‘Voices from Around the Diocese’ led by Bishop Andy with contributions from Nigel Frith, Diocesan Director of Education, The Revd Helen Chantry, Vicar of St Mary Magdalene, Hucknall and Emily Charkham, Curate with the Gamston and Bridgford Benefice.
- Song of Worship ‘I will sing of the Goodness of God’ led by Neil Wilson.
- Gospel Reading of John 12:1-8 read by The Revd Cathy Porter, Chaplain to The Minster School, Southwell
- Sermon given by Bishop Paul.
- Hymn ‘Come Down O Love Divine’ led by the cathedral choir.
- Renewal of Commitment to Ministry led by Bishop Paul and Bishop Andy.
- Prayers of Intercession led by The Dean of Southwell with a final Blessing given by Bishop Paul.
- Closing Song of Worship ‘O Praise the Name of the Lord our God’ led by Neil Wilson.