Getting started as an Eco Church
Eco Church is an interdenominational Christian environmental awards scheme run by the charity A Rocha UK.
It encourages and supports churches in their care for God’s creation across five areas of church life:
A self-assessed online survey covering each of these areas leads to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Eco Church Award.
How to get started;
- Get your PCC to decide that it will Care for Creation by becoming an Eco Church
- Appoint an Eco Champion. This person certainly won’t be doing everything themselves but will ensure that environmental issues are championed. Please let the Diocesan Environment Officer, Robert Cleave, at email@example.com know who your Eco Champion is, so that they can be informed, updated and supported.
- Create a small team of people with different skills and experiences covering the different areas of church life.
- Register as an Eco Church on the A Rocha website Eco Church – An A Rocha UK Project
- Carry out your first self- assessed online survey. You will be surprised at how much you are already doing Caring for Creation!
- Analyse your survey results to identify what improvements you can make to be able to apply for a Bronze award.
For any help and advice please contact the Diocesan Environment Officer, Robert Cleave, at firstname.lastname@example.org