School Buildings

School Buildings

Capital Funding for Schools

1. Devolved Formula Capital (DFC) 

  • Annual sum from the DfE allocated to every school / academy, broadly based on number of pupils and type of school (primary / secondary). Paid directly to the school, usually during the summer term. Can be used for all capital projects > £2,000.  Under this value, a project is by definition a revenue project. Examples of recent DFC projects include toilet refits, iPads, laptops, outdoor play equipment, and the creation of an intervention room.
  • DFC can be saved for up to three years to allow larger projects to be undertaken. 
  • If you are a VA school, DFC is paid at 90% with the Governing Body required to pay the remaining 10% contribution.  This contribution typically comes from parents’ association fund raising or the delegated budget.

2. School Condition Allocation (SCA) 

  • Funding for capital projects beyond the reach of schools using only their DFC.  Examples include hall extensions, new classrooms, enhanced reception security and playground extensions.
  • For VA schools, this allocation is managed by the Diocese via an annual bidding process.  Like with DFC, Governors must pay a 10% contribution.
  • If you are in a MAT with > 5 academies and > 3,000 pupils then the MAT is awarded their own SCA to allocate.
  • For VC’s the Local Authority is liable for capital works to school premises.  Please contact NCC for help with funding and organising works. link

3. Condition Improvement Fund (CIF)

  • An annual bidding process for single academies or those academies not part of a MAT large enough to be allocated SCA link

4. Urgent Capital Support (UCS)

  • Available for academies without access to SCA. For situations where the safety of pupils and staff are at risk, or where the closure of the whole, or a significant part of, the school is threatened. link

5. S106 (developer funding)

  • Significant local house building generates demand for school places in the area. NCC will notify you of any s106 available. These monies are to build new classrooms or extend existing classrooms.

6.  Adhoc funds

  1. Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme (PSDS) link
  2. 2018 Healthy Pupil Capital Fund (HPCF)  link
  3. SALIX loans Link to SALIX.

General Files

  1. Devolved Formula Capital (DFC) link
  2. School Condition Allocation (SCA) link
  3. Condition Improvement Fund (CIF) link
  4. Capital works notificationFor Voluntary Aided (VA)  – missing two forms
  5. To inform the local authority of all planned building projects email: Landlords.Consent@nottscc.gov.uk
  • Project management Voluntary controlled schools are supported on capital projects by the local authority. VA’s and academies can choose to manage building projects in-house or can use an external buildings consultant. We are happy to recommend a local buildings consultant.  The consultant specialises in school buildings and has supported our church schools and academies over many years. If you chose not to use a consultant, you must ensure contractors provide full risk assessments and insurance, a pre-agreed contract, and that all asbestos and other required H&S checks are carried out.
  1. VAT – In most cases, VAT cannot be recovered on capital works.  The governing body of VA schools are responsible for capital works.  They are not an eligible body for VAT recovery.  
  2. Academy conversions – land and buildings. Conversion to academy status requires a lot of legal work to alter the arrangements for governance and occupation of a school site. Schools considering academy conversion are encouraged to consult with the Diocesan Director of Education at an early stage. For more information contact Jess Lane Tel: 01636 817237 or email: jess.lane@southwell.anglican.org

Skip to content