THE DIOCESAN REGISTRY
The Diocesan Registry
The Registry provides the Registrar of the Diocese and Legal Secretary to the Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham, Registrar of the Consistory Court of the Diocese and Legal Adviser of the Diocesan Synod.
The Registrar and the Registry Clerk give advice to:
- the Bishop, Suffragan Bishop and Archdeacons of the Diocese
- clergy and licensed lay workers in the Diocese
- chairman and secretaries of boards, councils, and committees of the Diocese
- area deans of deanery synods in the Diocese
- churchwardens and secretaries of PCCs in the Diocese
on legal matters properly arising in connection with the discharge of their ecclesiastical, synodical and parochial offices.
Advice is also available to members of the public concerning the law of marriage, baptism, confirmation and burial of the dead (coffin burials and cremated remains) according to the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.
The work of the Registry includes:
- issuing documentation appointing clergy and licensed lay ministers to their posts
- advising on baptism, marriage, burial and cremation
- advising on Canon law of the Church of England
- advising on Measures of General Synod
- advising on Church Representation Rules
- acting as Legal Adviser to Diocesan Synod
- advising on church sites and burial grounds
- administering the court office of the Consistory Court of the Diocese and processing Petitions for Faculties
- issuing documentation relating to the Consecration / licensing of buildings / burial grounds
- maintaining the Patronage Register
- maintaining various diocesan records
The Registry is based in Jubilee House.
Phone: 01636 817221
Mobile: 07879 056149
Phone: 01636 817225
The Chancellor for the Diocese is Mark Ockelton. The Chancellor is the judge for the Diocese in matters of church law, which are heard in a Consistory Court. He also acts as the Bishop’s legal advisor.